Saturday, January 3, 2009

For weight loss, cut out supplements in favor of fruits, veggies

For weight loss, cut out supplements in favor of fruits, veggies

by: PETER GOTT, M.D. Newspaper Enterprise Association
Friday, January 02, 2009

Weight Loss

Dear Dr. Gott: I have a question I'm sure has never been addressed in your column. I cannot seem to lose weight. I'm 82 years old, 5 feet tall, and weigh 159 pounds.

I'm on metoprolol succinate, Plavix, Crestor, a multivitamin for women and Centrum Silver, Vitamin D, vitamin B-12, a low-dose aspirin, calcium with vitamin D, CO-Q10, folic acid and fish oil.

I had a stent put in one and a half years ago and try to follow a healthy diet. I go to Curves four or five times a week.

Dear Reader: Before I address your weight, I would like to review your daily medication schedule.

I agree with the metoprolol succinate (Toprol), Plavix and Crestor, prescribed by your primary physician or cardiologist. What I question is the bevy of over-the-counter supplements. They simply aren't necessary.

While you eat well, perhaps you simply need slight redirection. Caffeine can slow the progression of calorie-burning. If you overdo it on coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate or other caffeine-containing products, reduce your consumption. Foods made with flour and sugar can retard weight loss. Canned vegetables and soups are often high in sodium. Sodium has a tendency to make a person retain fluids (and weight). Therefore, modify your diet to include fresh or frozen steamed vegetables. Snack on raw vegetables and fruits such as carrots, broccoli, pepper slices, celery, apples, oranges and others. Keep a supply in your refrigerator so you aren't tempted to reach for a sugary or fatty snack that isn't as good for you. Broil rather than fry lean cuts of fish, chicken and meat. Remove the salt shaker from your table. Avoid fried foods. You might just find your cholesterol level drops with dietary modifications. If this happens, perhaps the Crestor can be stopped as well.

No comments: